Friday, November 30, 2012

Yum Yum Salad

This molded salad is a holiday meal staple at my house. The first version was one made by my mother. She softened cream cheese with mayonnaise, added a small can of crushed pineapple and added this to lime jello. One daughter still makes it this way. Everyone aims the serving spoon to get the balls of cream cheese.

In an old Women's Circle paper cookbook I bought at a used book store, I discovered this version and have been making it ever since:

1 (3 oz) package lime gelatin
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese softened
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cool whip (they call for whipped whipping cream)
1 small can crushed pineapple
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I leave these out as a family member is alergic to tree nuts)
Toated coconut (optional)

Place gelatin, hot water and cream cheese in pan and stir over low heat until cheese is blended well into the mixture. Remove from heat; add crushed pineapple and pecans. Place in refrigerator until it begins to thicken. Add whipped cream (cool whip) and let set until firm. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.

From my holiday table to yours.

No comments: